Friday, April 29, 2011

Cabernet Marinated Fillets with Sauteed Mushrooms


Dry-aged, tender, juicy, and extraordinarily flavorful fillets, a glorious mouth watering extravagance that is worth each and every cent (rather, dollar!) that we spend.  While Bobby's (Flay) and Emeril's 25-plus day dry-aged beef fillets are definitely "all that", my 2nd tier (non dry-aged) beef from the local market is still good enough to melt in your mouth and elicit groans of pleasure with the first bite.

A hearty cab simply combined with soy, onions and garlic brings a rich flavor to the tender cut while a topping of sauteed mushrooms lends a touch of earthiness to the mix.  With a quick dip into the marinade, the beef is ready to meet the hot grill grates in as little as 15 minutes.  Grilled asparagus and a tossed side salad make a noteworthy meal without much fuss (shhhh... no one will ever know!)



Cabernet Marinated Fillets of Beef
Liv Life

1 part soy
2 parts red wine (I like to use cabernet in this one!)
1 small onion, finely diced
1-2 Tbs minced or pressed garlic
Beef Fillets

Place soy, wine, onions and garlic into a large zip lock bag.  Add fillets to the bag and marinate for at least 15 minutes.  Marinate for as much as 2 hours.  (Marinated longer than 2 hours and the marinade begins to overtake the beef flavor... I prefer a 20-30 minute marinating time, my husband prefers about 1 hour.)

Prepare grill and grill to desired "done-ness"!

Sauteed Mushrooms
Liv Life
This is one of those recipe that changes a bit every time I make it.  I have never measured, just used what I had on hand.  The ingredients listed below are suggestions, feel free to add herbs or use a white wine if desired!



olive oil
cup diced onion
garlic, pressed or finely diced
butter
mushrooms, either a mixture or cremini or button, cleaned and sliced into large slices
splash of red wine
salt
pepper


Heat olive oil in a large sautee pan.  Add onion and cook over medium low heat until translucent.  Add garlic and cook for about a minute, or until fragrant.  Add butter, then cleaned and sliced mushrooms.  Sautee until mushrooms are almost tender.  Add a splash of wine and salt and pepper.  Continue cooking until cooked to desired "done-ness", serve warm over beef.


-----------------------------------------------------------------------

33 comments:

  1. I love mushrooms and these definitely looks delicious. I am sure they pair very well with that yumymy beef dish of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job on photographing the steak! This is one of my favorite dishes, and like you, it changes each time we make it depending on what we have on hand. We pretty much always have red wine, garlic, onions and olive oil around, and I to add a dash or two of Worcestershire sauce with my mushrooms. Oh, and you can't add too much garlic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! I love steak and mushrooms! I want a plate of this right now... Thanks for the recipe :) And I really love the photographs in this post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those sauteed mushrooms look perfect with those steaks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mushrooms always pair well with wine, and especially with steak. Your pics are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to add wine now the next time I cook mushrooms!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favorite way to prepare steaks - a red wine sauce and glorious mushrooms. You have me searching my freezer for beef...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome! That's all I have to say!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Red wine and mushrooms?!!! Brilliant!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Will just have to do another dish for Marie! Poor gal is allergic to beef, but she doesn't mind if I do it for myself. We have had this problem for the last 20 years, and I have wondered if it was caused by all the additives the cattle are fed, as she had no problem when she was younger. When I make chilli or something similar, I use beef, pork, buffalo and she is able to tolerate that, or a meat loaf if I add more pork than beef, add a chunk of ham, it will be OK. But a steak, or beef stew, she simply cannot handle! Belly ache within a couple of hours! So, we do eat a lot of chicken, pork, bison, seafood. AND you and both of us have the same love for mushrooms!
    Cheers, Doug in BC

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, how I wish I had some steak and mushrooms on hand right now! You've made me quite hungry -- and I know I'll be making this dish soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Everything about this dish is awesome. Great marinade for the steak and I'm loving the boozy mushrooms :) Thank so much for sharing1

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your recipe! This dish reminds of one of the best meals I've ever had . I was at a french restaurant at the Paris Hotel in Las Vegas. The fillet was full of flavor and they served it with the best homemade french fries! My portuguese grandmother also cooks her meat this way too. Its absolutely delicious! Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. your marinated beef looks incredible, what a nice balance of flavors in the marinade! The mushrooms add just the right touch...now I'm so hungry and its bed time....sigh

    ReplyDelete
  15. this looks great. i think the mushrooms make this perfect. yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm groaning with pleasure and I didn't even have a first bite! I adore a perfectly cooked steak more than any other kind of meat and this is it right here. I love those mushrooms too...I'll try to replicate what appears to be unreplicatable? :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my worrrrd...that steak looks wonderful! And then to top it off with mushrooms?! Score!
    Your photos are also godgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mmm, Kim! This looks so good!!!! I like that technique of using wine as a marinade. It definitely imparts great flavor to what it is marinating. And you know how I'm a sucker for mushrooms ;-) I'd like an invite next time! The weather is awesome this weekend, no??? Except, I've got the neighbor's tree banging ferociously against my single-paned windows :-(

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mushrooms and red wine were meant to be together! Beautifully done! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. steak with mushrooms are delicious lovely presentation

    ReplyDelete
  21. so inviting. The presentation looks fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  22. Easter Dinner with Cabernet Fillets - Sauteed Mushrooms, plus the side dishes. Ending with a cup of Espresso Coffee and Margarita Cheese Cake.
    I sure am glad you are my Daughter. Now if Liv could only keep form getting the Queen we would have won the game of hearts too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. My mom asked me today when I took her out for lunch if I still didn't like mushrooms. I told her that I got over my fear in college, and she told me she thought I still had an aversion to them so she has avoided cooking with them since I was little. Maybe I should hand her this recipe and tell her to go crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love alcohol marinated beef! Your steak and mushrooms look amazing. Definately want to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very delicious! Beef, mushrooms and soy are fantastic together.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gorgeous blog Kim! Your photos are incredible--but not a surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I don't mean to brag, but Adam really does make the best steaks I have ever eaten. That being said I think this will give him a serious run for his money! This looks so sumptuously delicious in every way.. can't wait to serve this up for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a simple marinade yet the beef looks fantastic!!! Definitely keep for the summer recipe collections - I'm preparing early... Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  29. These steaks look awesome! The BF loves mushrooms on his steaks. Looks like the perfect dinner for us.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This looks delicious!! I think you just gave me an idea as to what to have for Mother's Day tomorrow. Drooling already - Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Nothing plucks at my heart strings quite like a filet + red wine. Mmmm

    ReplyDelete
  32. Can't go wrong with red wine & beef!

    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  33. I am behind in my reading - this sounds exactly like what we had for Mother's Day dinner with a glass of fine cab to drink. Great minds think alike!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make our hearts sing!