Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Pot 'O Gold Lemon Limoncello Gelatin Shots (Cubes)

I've never been much of a shot girl, well, unless you count the occasional shot of tequila to ward off an aching head after an extreme day of dance (some of Liv's competition days have been known to reach into the 15+ hour figures...).  Years ago though, our social group welcomed my good friend Annie into its folds, and our gatherings were forever changed.

Arriving with a platter of multi colored cups filled with vodka-laced jello shots, the party always started when Annie arrived.  Unfortunately for us, Annie and her family have since moved to Colorado, where I'm sure the lives of her new friends have also change forever for the better while ours will always have a little piece missing.

With Annie's absence, I gave my own try at the jello shot realizing that these little bites of fun are seriously simple to put together, make a pretty splash of color on a plate, and are usually well received.

Research for our St. Patrick's Day event led to jelly shot recipes featuring ingredients including Sour Apple Schnapps and Lime Green Jell-O flavored with Irish Whiskey.  Another shot entitled the "Car Bomb", added Guinness Stout, Irish Whiskey AND Bailey's Irish Cream to packages of unflavored gelatine along with a touch of sugar for balance.  Perhaps it's the lack of Irish blood running through my veins, but I don't really see myself as a Car Bomb girl.

Hence, I moved my own direction, away from green and whiskey, and towards this light, lemony version of our prior success, the Margarita Lime Shot.  Using my husband's homemade Limoncello, we added fresh lemon juice from dad's lemon tree, a dose of sugar, a little water and two packets of our new friend, Knox Original Unflavored Gelatin.

With my plate of bright yellow cubes headed out the door, I mentioned that I didn't feel very St. Patrick's flavored when Liv once again came to my rescue.  It must have been the Irish blood her father passed down to her, but she smiled and said, "Mom, these must be Pot of Gold Cubes left by the leprechauns!"

Thanks Liv...


Pot 'O Gold Lemon Limoncello Gelatin Shots
Not as strong as other shots on the market, these light, lemony shots brought smiles to all around.  

6 oz. good quality limoncello (3/4 of a cup)
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice

2-4 (or more!) Tbs sugar

2 envelopes  Knox Original Gelatin, Unflavored,

8 Tbs Water (may use a portion vodka for a more potent shot)

Serve with Lemon Dipping Sugar (recipe below)

In a medium bowl add limoncello and freshly squeezed juice.

In another medium bowl, heat 8 Tbs of water in the microwave until bubbling.  Remove from microwave and sprinkle the gelatine over the top.  Stir the mixture until the gelatine is fully dissolved.  Add the water/gelatine mixture to the limoncello mixture.  Stir to combine.

Pour into a prepared baking dish (I sprayed a glass 9x6 inch dish with very lightly with cooking spray) and chill until set, at least 3 hours.


Remove from refrigerator and cut into desired shapes... we did simple squares, but diagonal cuts could create fancier diamonds or triangles.  Or how about a cutter for circles?


Place on a serving dish, garnish as desired and serve with Lemon Sugar for dipping.

Lemon Dipping Sugar
1/3 cup of sugar
zest from 1 medium lemon

Place sugar and zest into a small food processor or blender.  Process for about 10 pulses, or until zest in very fine.

Spoon lemon sugar into a small bowl to serve or place small dollops around your shot plate. 

19 comments:

  1. Jello shots are always so much fun. I am not much of a shot person myself, but I can handle having one that is jello hehe. Yours look really delicious. Nice pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes please!! I can't do the shots thing like I used to, nor should I (disastrous results) but Jello Shots can be done. And should be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miss Liv is one smart little lady. Those definitely look like the gold to me. I'll take lemon over apple any time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM!! These sound so refreshing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would take these over a real pot of gold anyday :D
    Looks awesome!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru
    Latest: Double Jaffa Nutella Fudge Cookie + More

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kim,
    Leave it to Liv to rescue "Mom". These lemon jello shots look amazing, and I bet that they go down easy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look delicious! I love jell-o shots, though it took a while to get the amount of vodka right at first - the first batch didn't solidify even after 24 hours in the fridge. Ahem.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That Liv is one smart cookie...and quick! A Pot 'o Gold works for me...love this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your daughter is WISE! :)

    I know there is some limoncello in the back of the fridge! This might make our patio party this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is brillant and I have everything here to try this love limoncello!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh I love jello shots and these sound so good! So summery and lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. These sound so good!! I want to make them this weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW - I have a group of girlfriends and we meet at eachother's homes on Friday night with our husbands and kids for Happy Hour. These would be a huge hit! I've made them before but not with Limoncello, howevver, I'm certain they taste amazing! Must try!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I need to bring these to the next party, seriously. But I'd make at least another batch just to make sure I have a stash at home. There would be no leftovers at any party where these are served. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow - these look great! I love the pics. I am sure they taste incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How fun are these! What a smart girl you have too, great naming them!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm not much of a shot girl either but I'd make an exception for these!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! I have never been a jell-o girl (shots, yeahhh I've had a few), but even I want to try these. I can imagine their flavor and sweet tartness!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make our hearts sing!