Monday, December 10, 2012

Garlic Dinner Rolls


Dear Bread,

 I love you.  I crave you.  I'm not sure I can live without you.  A few weeks ago a friend of mine posed this question on Facebook, "Bread or Chocolate?".   Now, I will admit that chocolate and I have a thing too... but you?  You have my heart. 

Tender, soft, and simply irresistible, you are the perfect partner to my every meal.  Warm and slathered with butter, you become even more attractive, and then when you met garlic?  Not only did you make my house smell beyond fabulous, but you tasted positively heavenly.

We've had such a good relationship over the years, so I have to wonder... why don't you like me as much I like you?  Why do you insist on sitting around my middle just because I've entered my mid-40's?  We've been such good friends, and friends shouldn't make friends gain a pound or two.

Even still, I will never turn my back on you.  We may not be able to spend quite as much time together, but you will always be a part of my life.  I just can't quit you...
Love,
Kim

Garlic Cheese Dinner Rolls


Garlic Dinner Rolls
Over 10 years ago, the book Bread Machine Magic found its way onto my overflowing bookshelf joining my collection of beloved bread cookbooks.  Quickly earning a place as one of my favorite books, I've given copies to numerous friends, and have not been the only one who has used the book so often that it became splattered with bread dough and had to be taped together.


A few weeks ago one of those friends surprised me with a new and updated version along with the comment, "I knew yours was in pieces, so when I saw this book I had to get one for me, and one for you.  Enjoy!"


Garlic head and garlic cloves
These Garlic Rolls have earned a spot as one of the top recipes in our house.  Whenever I ask the family what kind of bread we should have as a side for our dinner, the resounding answer is, "Garlic Rolls!!", and they appeared again just yesterday as a delightful side to our new favorite, Tomato Basil Soup.

Easy enough to put together when popped into the bread machine, the rolls are finished off in the oven.  When the heavenly aroma of bread topped with butter and garlic hits the air, this will be one night you won't have to announce dinner.

Adapted from Bread Machine Magic, Revised Edition: 138 Exciting Recipes Created Especially for Use in All Types of Bread Machines, page 145. Medium sized recipe.

Dough:
1 cup water
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tbs butter (we use Earth Balance Butter Substitute) **
2 Tbs sugar 
3 cups All-Purpose Flour
1 1/2 tsp Red Star Brand Active Dry Yeast

Garlic Butter Topping:
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 cloves garlic, crushed or pressed
2 Tbs freshly grated Parmesan Cheese 

Place ingredients into your bread machine in the order directed by the maker of your machine.  Select "Dough" setting, and push start.

When dough cycle is complete, remove the pan from the machine and turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface.  Knead the dough a couple of times, then, using a large knife or a bench scraper, cut the dough into equal pieces.  The book recommends 24 pieces with this size batch, but I never seem to get that many.  We usually end up with 15-18 nice sized rolls.

Place the dough pieces into a greased pan.

In a small bowl combine the butter and garlic.  Spoon the garlic butter over the rolls, then sprinkle with the grated cheese.  Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly doubled in size (about 30 minutes depending on the temperature in your house).  Preheat oven to 375º.

Bake rolls until golden brown, 13-16 minutes.  Remove from oven and cool for a few minutes.  To serve, we flip the entire batch out onto a plate or board (plate is easier if I've used a round baking pan), and then flip again so the rolls are right side up.  I place the whole thing on the table and have the guests pull off a roll.  Alternatively, you can pull the rolls apart and serve in a bread basket.

**Liv Life Note:  We make the recipe dairy free for my son who does not eat dairy, however, the original recipe calls for 2 Tbs of nonfat dried milk to be added to the dough ingredients.

Liv Life Note 2:  Occasionally I swap 1 cup of the All-Purpose Flour for 1 cup of Spelt Flour... the rolls are not quite as light with the whole grain flour, but bring a nice nutty and hearty taste. 

8 comments:

  1. Kim, I love the whole yeast thing and the alchemy of breadmaking with its aromas and flavors. You had me at the butter and garlic part, where announcing dinner isn't necessary. Dang those leavened carbs! Can you tell we share a similar relationship with bread?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'd choose bread over chocolate? There's hope for you yet! I think my family would do the same, even though they enjoy chocolate too. I'm lucky that way.

    And, I love, love, love garlic bread. Which means I need to make these. Really soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mind can already smell these rolls baking in my oven!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, fresh baked bread...oh...I love you, too. So, I'll bring the soup, you bring this bread. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving me a comment so I could find your lovely blog. I see so many mouth-watering recipes here with beautiful photos! These garlic rolls would be fantastic with the delicious-looking tomato soup below :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would definitely pick bread over chocolate any day! These rolls sound super delicious =)

    Hope you and your family have a great holiday season, Kim!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make our hearts sing!