Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Blueberry Ricotta Pancakes with Chunky Blueberry Sauce


This week I have confirmed something that I have heard for years, men get sicker than women.  Poor guys... I'm sorry to say it just seems to be a fact.

Liv has been struggling with sinus issues for the last few months, and while she has missed a few days of school she has muddled through and continued with her intense dance rehearsals as the upcoming competition season is literally just around the corner.  Dragging those black circles under her eyes along with her, she dutifully completed her homework after dancing for hours after school and then hit the shower and fell into bed.

A few weeks ago I had a cold, but with my husband out of town the world did not stop for my sniffles.  My chauffeur business had to be run with school drop offs and pick ups along with dance rehearsal commitments reaching late into the night.  The catering business continued as well, requiring shopping for ingredients (a certain 14 year old boy had a special salsa request...), meal prep and serving to accommodate said dance rehearsals and school schedules.  Not to mention the bus-girl/dish washing job that I have on the side.

The pet care business had two Maltese pups staring at me with their leash in their mouth as I attempted to put me feet up for a moment.  And the laundry business.... goodness, the laundry does not slow down for a sick mom, "Mom!!  You didn't wash the jeans I wanted to wear today!!!"

Men, however, are simply not as strong.  My poor, poor 14 year old son, with his red nose and constant sneezing, would sit at the table with such sad eyes quietly asking, "Mom... could you get me some water??  Oh, and that box of tissues over there.  And when you get a sec, I'd love a burrito..."  He suffered stoically while watching multiple movies over the weekend having meals served to him with special orange juice smoothies to boost his vitamin C.

Speaking to my mom has confirmed that my poor Dad was also soooo sick with his cold.  Coughing and coughing through the night he caught up with frequent naps during the day.  Luckily she was there to prepare an immune boosting Chicken Soup.

Next we have my hapless husband with his head fully clogged and coughs shaking him to his core.  As with the other two, he's taken the last two days to rest and try to regain his health.  (In all seriousness, I have to admit this bug is a particularly nasty one!).

Having a freezer full of organic blueberries, Liv and I decided to give Daddy one of his favorite breakfasts, Blueberry Pancakes.  Cleaning out my binder of "to try" recipes the other day I found this particular recipe torn out of an Eating Well Magazine from 2006 with the note "this looks great!" scribbled on the side.  

Filled with whole grains, protein rich eggs and low-fat ricotta, antioxidant-rich blueberries (Daddy's favorite fruit!), and the brightness of fresh lemon juice and zest these pancakes were not only healthy but delectable as well.  Topping them with a zesty Blueberry Sauce and a little maple syrup brought a slight smile to our sick Daddy's face, but with his cleaned plate we are thinking that the antioxidants will soon begin working their magic, putting him on the road to recovery.



Blueberry Ricotta Pancakes with Chunky Blueberry Sauce
adapted from Eating Well, 2006 
Our family has agreed that these are some of the best pancakes we've ever had!!

1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons spelt flour (may use whole wheat pastry flour)
1 teaspoon sugar 
1 teaspoon baking powder 
1/4 teaspoon baking soda 
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg 
3/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese 
2 large eggs
1/2 cup nonfat buttermilk, (we had to add up to 1/4 cup more) 
1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest 
1 tablespoon lemon juice 
2 teaspoons canola oil, divided 
3/4 cup fresh or frozen (not thawed) blueberries 

Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and nutmeg in a small bowl. Whisk ricotta, egg, buttermilk, lemon zest and juice in a large bowl until smooth. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined. 

Brush a large nonstick skillet with 1/2 teaspoon oil and place over medium heat until hot. Using a generous 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake, pour the batter for 2 pancakes into the pan, sprinkle blueberries on each pancake and cook until the edges are dry and bubbles begin to form, about 2 minutes. Flip the pancakes and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes more. Repeat with the remaining oil, batter and berries, adjusting the heat as necessary to prevent burning.

Serve with Chunky Blueberry Sauce and maple syrup if desired

Chunky Blueberry Sauce
Eating Well
The perfect complement to the Blueberry Ricotta Pancakes, I can also see this sauce spooned over a bowl of homemade vanilla ice cream!

Blueberries, lemon zest and juice and honey, on the stove and ready to cook into their magical goodness!
2 cups fresh or frozen (not thawed) blueberries
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
2 tablespoons lemon juice

Stir blueberries, honey, lemon zest and juice in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 15 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes; serve warm.

65 comments:

  1. Wow, Kim, those blueberry pancakes look amazing. I have noticed the same thing when the men in my life get sick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liv is such a trooper and so are you, my dear. True, the world does not stop when we get sick but when the men get sick it's time to pull out all the stops to make them comfortable.

    I love your posts but this one had a little humor that I really enjoyed. You had my thinking for a full 4 seconds or so that you literally ran a chauffeur business! By the time you got to catering business I caught on. ;)

    These pancakes look so fluffy and delicious. Still jealous of your skills over here but I'll settle for drooling over your pancakes here at my desk.

    I hope you are having a good day and everyone is up to normal speed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though I hate when my family gets sick...I do love baking and cooking for them. It is a small way to show how much I care! (even though they often have small appetites...they try their best to eat as much as they can!) These pancakes sound delicious. Thank you for sharing such a lovely breakfast meal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great combination of flavors! Perfect for helping anyone to get well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This had to improve everyone's health - I mean ricotta pancakes? Wonderful! That blueberry sauce? Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pancakes looks fantastic and so delicious, I am loving your photos as always.
    Man vs Women..of course womens are stronger:)) We are build for much more than man would ever be able to do..but to the respect to all man out there , truth just hurt I know:)) I hope your family feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok those look so delicious! I want some, and I want them now. lol! And yes, women are stronger than men, my hubby took 4 sick days in a row with his cold, I still cleaned my house and shopped and took care of the toddler when I had mine! Oh well... They can be kinda cute when they're being pathetic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your post was so funny. I can totally relate. I have an "Out Sick" sign gathering dust somewhere. Don't remember the last time I used it!

    And the pancakes... I think I'm in love! They look so delicious, I want to reach out and pluck a blueberry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wabt these pancakes now!...even after the Mac & Cheese dish I had today with all you ladies. I think I'll file this one in the "must try" pile o'recipes...It was truly a pleasure meeting you today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to come to California just so you can make these pancakes for me! Of course, it's much cheaper to go buy the ingredients and make them at home here in Texas!! Thanks for sharing, Kim...putting these in my MUST TRY SOON file!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have the BEST pancake recipes in the entire world! When are you going to open up a pancake house?! I'd be a loyal customer - this are irresistible!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love pancakes and these look truly amazing! So good. Drool.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Truly irresistible....

    ReplyDelete
  14. OH YUMMM These pancakes look amazing! They make me crave summer!
    I love ricotta cheese and the prospect of a gooey, fluffy pancake sounds fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are a great caregiver! These pancakes look and sound amazing and I bet they hit the spot for the folks in the house not feeling well. I love that you have two little Maltese pups - Perhaps we might see them in a future post??

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yum! I always have a big bag of bluberrries in the freezer. its one of my staples. Will definately be trying this one. thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't know if you know this, but I LOVE pancakes. These look so special. I haven't made any with ricotta cheese yet, even though I know it's pretty common. I really want to make yours. Thanks for sharing!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a great recipe ! I was thinking to get blueberries this weekend so I guess I should get some ricotta too :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. I live less than half a mile from an organic blueberry farm! Guess what I'll be making this summer?!?!?!?! Just the sight of these pancakes are kind of rocking my world!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That first photo is breathtaking...and what a fabulous treat for your ailing household!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. These pancakes sound amazing with the lemon flavors and blueberries. I never thought to make lemon pancakes. We'll be making these soon, and I'm sure that Bailey, the snow dog, will love them, too.

    My husband in the same way when he is sick, pathetic. It must be in their genes:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks like a hearty meal! I'd never heard of putting ricotta into pancakes before; it sounds tasty! It's a good thing your husband has such wonderful ladies to make him such a meal while he's ill. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  23. I want to make that blueberry sauce for everything!

    ReplyDelete
  24. these look beautiful and I would love to have some right now!! Hope your family feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Kim, you just read my mind. I've been talking about finding a good recipe for ricotta pancakes with blueberries and I just did. They sound spectacular.

    Hope your men fell better soon! I've been on nurse duty as well with my 13 year old and he is milking it for all its worth ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  26. This looks like breakfast fit for the kings, or at least the men in your house. May they get better soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've been sick for 3 week in January and lost almost 10 pounds with all the germs I bring back from school but aside from missing 3 days of work I did all my duties as you did. My hubby got sick last week and he spent 5 days home saying "amooooreeee...can you give me this, can you give me that" They are a real pain in the b... lol but they are cute and we make them a lot of good food and they eat everything. These pancakes, I would like them in my stomach instead :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. It is so true there is nothing so pathetic as a sick male, and regardless of their age. Don't get me wrong I have no problem babying and nursing them back to health. Just thankful they don't give birth, we would never hear the end of it. :)
    Great recipes by the way, love all those blueberries, very very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  29. You just now confirmed that, he he! I have all those same jobs too, these pancakes would make all of them seem a little easier! Hope you all get better soon!
    -Gina-

    ReplyDelete
  30. Those look like the best pancakes I have ever seen...that compote is gorgeous. I can only imagine food like that would make anyone feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Those look super awesome! I bet they taste so amazing! I have been craving blueberry pancakes for about 2 weeks now, I really really want to make them this weekend...I kind of just want to come to your house and sit on on breakfast though haha ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Ricotta pancakes is one of my favorites!!! I love getting little chunks of ricotta that haven't been well incorporated in the batter! YUMMY

    ReplyDelete
  33. Fantastic pancakes, I am already scheming to make low carb! Everyone is or has been sick in our house too. First the older kids, then Maggie and now me and my husband. What a winter. And by that I mean what a (^&^^$&^%^$&&$# winter!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love the double-blueberry hit of these pancakes. Your family should get all the vitamins they need from these to overcome their colds and flu. They should be back on their feet in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I must try this! I have never made pancakes with ricotta cheese before! They look incredibly delicious and I'm sure they were!
    I have been on such a blueberry kick lately! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  36. This is too tempting! I'm all for closing up the studio and bathing in that blueberry sauce... and the pancakes look so perfect! YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. This is one of those moments when I wished I enjoyed fruit - because these look awesome. I never was acclimated to it so it all tastes and is texturally weird to me, but I have always loved the pre-packaged blueberry flavored breakfast things. These look like they would blow any of those pre-packaged things out of the water.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I am craving pancakes now!! These look incredible...I love the blueberry sauce! I am making this over the weekend! Mmmm.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Kim, these look so good and your photos are amazing as always. It looks like we are in the same business - chauffeur, caterer, bus-girl/dish washer, and don't forget housekeeping, and a little accounting on the side. You do have the extra work of the dog business business I have double your amount of children, so we'll call it a draw ;) I am exhausted just thinking about it. I wonder what sort of salary we should be getting?

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wow! These look wonderful and perfect for putting your family back on the road to recovery! Isn't it funny how when we moms get sick, we still don't skip a beat! Get better to all!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Kim I am so sorry to hear that everyone was so ill but I know pancakes would make me feel better if I was sick! And honestly, sick or not, those pancakes look amazing, good work pulling that recipe out the magazine all those years ago. :) I had a superb pancake fail over the weekend, so good to see someone had some success. Sad that I missed meeting you this week, but lets try to plan something soon?

    ReplyDelete
  42. Your pancakes look so gorgeous and fluffy that I'm sure it's enough in itself to cure any sick man in a matter of blueberry heaven minutes! Good for you keeping up all the businesses, even when flagging. Cheers to an amazing woman!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Kim-I hope by now, everyone in your family is back to perfect health. Catering, Pet Care, Laundress, and Nurse...don't forget you are nurse, as well...LOL
    Your pancakes with the ricotta, are "heavenly"...cannot imagine a fluffier yummier pancakes. The chunky blueberry sauce just made it divine.
    Thanks for sharing your oh, so "true" household story, and your amazing pancake recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Oh man, I need a nap just LOOKING at those pancakes. So many delicious carbs! :) I'm having company this weekend, this may be just the Sunday Morning recipe I need!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Isn't that the truth. The world doesn't stop when us moms get sick.

    So I'm sitting here now looking at your amazing pancakes while mine that I just made look pretty sad and dry. Thanks for that:) I need blueberries!!!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Hope everyone's on the mend. Bet these pancakes helped make them feel better anyway. THey look great.

    ReplyDelete
  47. These pancakes look so delicious and fluffy, I spent a good time staring at each picture. Man! I have to try them :)

    ReplyDelete
  48. Helloooo! again! I just wanted to let you know that I left you the "One Lovely Blog" Award on my blog! and again....love the pancakes!!!!

    http://sabrina-eatdrinkandbemerry.blogspot.com/2011/02/bananas-foster-blondies-and-another.html

    ReplyDelete
  49. Hi Kim,
    I've found your blog today and i'm already a follower...You have my kind of blog...loved the fotos e the pancake recipes...

    Kisses,
    Rita

    http://bembons.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  50. These pancakes look so amazing...and that topping is to die for! I just want to take a huge bite:)

    ReplyDelete
  51. Gorgeous pancakes! Hope everyone is getting healthy--these would surely help. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  52. I noticed that too when my man gets sick!! Men....
    The pancakes look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  53. I am now wondering why I never thought to put blueberries on top of blueberry pancakes...or any fruit with its matching pancake variation. You are brilliant, my dear, simply brilliant. I wonder if I still have a bag of blueberries in my freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  54. These pancakes are adorable! I would absolutely feel better after eating these if I were sick!

    ReplyDelete
  55. Very cute. I think every woman I know can relate to this story! I wish I could make pancakes like yours. My family would be very happy. It's common knowledge that pancake making isn't Mom's strength.

    Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  56. It's true! Men seem to get sicker than us women...and they certainly whine a lot more than we do! One simple cold and most act like they've contracted the plague. Whiny babies. Haha. I've seen hubby sick a few times but he just trudges through it. I think with his work schedule he knows he has no choice so he pops some pills and goes on with his day.

    I hope the boys and Liv feel better soon!

    As for these pancakes, delish! Makes me want to actually eat breakfast in the morning. I should, I know but I get lazy. If I had those available though, I doubt I'd resist them.

    ReplyDelete
  57. What gorgeous pancakes! The blueberry sauce looks AMAZING and adds such a beautiful color to the pancakes. YUM! :)

    ReplyDelete
  58. Still my mouth is melting to seen this delicious, Its look really yummy. thanks for share it. I cant wait to eat it.
    Invention Brokers

    ReplyDelete
  59. LOL! Isn't it amazing all the roles/jobs moms have?? I particularly enjoy my job as a dishwasher -- I find it oddly relaxing. :) Not looking to the days of chauffeuring though!

    I hope everyone is on the mend. I'm sure they all appreciated these beautiful pancakes!

    ReplyDelete
  60. I just gave a sigh of pleasure and I didn't even get to eat any of these! Bravo on a non-chocolate breakfast. :)

    Our house has the male-out-of-commission rule too when he gets sick. Funny how that works.

    ReplyDelete
  61. Hey your blog is soooooo yummmmy. Thanks for the sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  62. I'd eat this throughout the day!

    ReplyDelete
  63. Mmmm...I just made these. I used low-fat cottage cheese instead of ricotta (and whole wheat pasty flour instead of spelt) because that's what I had. I'm wondering though if I should puree the cottage cheese first, it was kind of "lumpy" (but tasty). I didn't have enough blueberries to try the sauce recipe this time (bummer). Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make our hearts sing!