Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Citrus Blush... a sunny cocktail to brighten your day!


Whew, Super Bowl XLV was awesome!!!  Ok... I didn't see a single commercial, more than 2 plays of the game or the National Anthem (though I did hear about it on the radio), but I had one of the best days ever.  With our house filled with good friends, our table filled with scrumptious football food, and a sunny citrusy drink in our hands we were set for the perfect day.  Our 8th Annual Super Bowl Extravaganza was another resounding success.

Becky carried the team with not just one, but four Football Strombolis!  People literally started crowding the kitchen as seconds ticked off of the timer, waiting for the cheesy goodness to exit the oven.  The kids would run through and grab a piece on the fly, so we had to be quick to get our fair share.  My neighbor, Evan, even scored his own personal stromboli after accomplishing a personal best in the Long Beach Marathon earlier in the day.  He arrived home after running those 26+ miles, took a quick nap and was still standing an hour after the game had finished... nicely done, Evan!

With everyone bringing a football food donation for the table we had a bona fide football feast.  The Asian Spring Rolls dipped in a tasty peanut sauce were the first to go, but the remaining dips, sandwiches, cobblers, Strawberry Margarita jello-shots, cakes, meatballs, ultra-dark chocolate cookies and bugles filled the gap.

I was not familiar with Bugles prior to last year's game when my husband found them in the snack aisle and had to have them.  Many of our guests smile with glee at the overflowing bowl, reminiscing about the crunchy little treats that apparently are fun to stick on the ends of your fingers.  In any case, that bowl was soon emptied as well!

Bugles... do you remember bugles??
Another Super Bowl tradition at our house is the Citrus Blush, a lovely, bright and sunny, beverage that simply makes the world a good place.  Brimming with freshly squeezed Ruby-red grapefruit and lime juices and mixed with a concoction of vodka and limoncello, the drink is extraordinarily sippable and will have you smiling with pleasure at the first taste.  Sweet, yet tart, the thirst quencher pleases nearly every palette and will bring a bright, happy spot to your day!



Citrus Blush
adapted from Shaken

Everything you need to make a Citrus Blush!
Crushed ice
1/2 oz. freshly squeezed lime juice
1/2 oz. limoncello
1 1/2 oz. vodka
2 oz. freshly squeezed Ruby-red grapefruit juice, or more to taste.

Fill a shaker with ice and add the remaining ingredients.  Shake and pour the contents, including ice into a chilled glass.  Add more grapefruit juice to taste.  Enjoy!

Note:  In the above picture we have a jar of our own home-made limoncello.  Unfortunately, it wasn't done for the party, but will soon be providing a nice, lemony beverage for our upcoming warm months!

Measurements for a pitcher:
16 oz. freshly squeezed lime juice
16 oz. limoncello
48 oz. vodka
About 48 oz. freshly squeezed Ruby-red grapefruit juice, or more to taste.  For the pitcher we start at 48 oz and move up if we need more, the sweetness of the grapefruits vary and we have found that it's easier to adjust from this level.

35 comments:

  1. I didn't watch any of the game, either! Your spread looks fantastic and ths drink looks even better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I could go for one of those right now. Love the idea of putting limoncello in a drink.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic looking party! I totally remember Bugles. But the real reason I clicked over is that cocktail. I like the limoncello. So crisp and clean.

    ReplyDelete
  4. everything looks beautiful! I LOVE limoncello! I use it to make mojitos and they come out great everytime!

    ReplyDelete
  5. bugles are a favourite there was a time I wouldn't eat any other chips thank you for the memory

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kim, I was wondering how your Super Bowl party went. Sounds like everyone had a lot of fun and had lots to eat (so did we at our friends party)! I'll have to make that stromboli one of these days. Actually, I have everything to make it so it might happen sooner than later. And I raise my hand to being a Bugle lover, the cheese flavored ones. I can never find them, though!

    I hope you're having a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the drink recipe. I can't wait to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooooh it has limoncello in it - my favorite. Yummmmmmyyy. And I think that was the best looking Super Bowl feast I have ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't had Bugles in years. That really brings back memories!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful spread of food and drinks! I want to come over :-) This cocktail looks like such a bright and flavorful drink! Thanks for always making me smile with your words, photos and recipes. I hope that your Wednesday is full of joy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG, Bugles! I had forgotten about those things. First time I ever had them was when I was done in Colorado as an intern (met my husband down there). Sounds like such a fun party and congrats to Evan for his PB on a marathon.
    And this cocktail...I have SUCH a weekness for cocktails. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness do I ever remember Bugles! I used to love those things when I was younger. I would put them on the tips of my fingers and act like I was a witch haha. Oh man, Bugles and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches were a staple in my household. Thanks so much for bringing back memories.

    This drink looks delicious by the way. It is so bright! What a great drink to have during the winter to brighten up a cold day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like a lovely spread! Making those shooters looks like something I would do, even though I had oodles of other tasks to attend to!!! (I guess that's how you know you are a full-fledged crazy food blogger!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think this is got to be Friday evening's cocktail in my house. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Kim....looks like a great Superbowl party! I will have to try that to see if I can make a Citrus Blush:-)! Must admit, we are not great football fans up here on Vancouver Island, more into hockey.
    Cheers,
    Old Doug in BC

    ReplyDelete
  16. We loved Becky's Stromboli! We made it for our Super Bowl potluck party and I made it again today for my husband's forest society potluck! It's such a hit!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Seeing the photo, seeing the recipe, just had dinner and my mouth is watering! No Super Bowl here, just rugby and football but I am definitely going to have to try this blushing number.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would love to make a citrus blush! I've never done that before! I'm jealous of Evan. If I have to run a marathon to get one of those...I assure you I would not be standing afterwards. It sounds like you had an incredible time!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm a limoncello fan here , saving this cocktail, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Limoncello... Pure nectar! Love this cocktail! Adam' favorite snack as a kid was Bugles. He generally eschews them now, but once in a while, they are the only thing that will satisfy! Looks like you guys had a delicious Super Bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Citrus blush, I like the name and oh, what a pretty color! We played golf during the Super Bowl, just couldn't sit inside as it was so warm and beautiful that day. It looks like you guys had a fun party and of course, ate extremely well;-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. what a delicious spread of food and drinks. those strawberries sure did take a lot of time to make them, congrats to the cook.
    thanks for sharing Kim, hope you're enjoying your Wednesday evening

    ReplyDelete
  23. ooh.... love this! It looks so yummy and refreshing. I love grapefruit juice!

    Susan www.ugogrrl.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful cocktail! Reminds me of Mad Men!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This cocktail sounds amazing! Just what we need in the winter to remind us of warmer weather to come! :D

    ReplyDelete
  26. Everything looks just wonderful. What a fun day with family and friends. Your citrus blush looks very enticing. I love grapefruit juice so I am sure this would be a big hit. I have been wanting to buy a bottle of limoncello and this has given me a push in the right direction - the wine shop.

    ReplyDelete
  27. You killed it with the cocktail. We made Limoncello two years ago and just ran out. More this summer and then drinks like these again!

    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  28. Looked a great party and lovely colourful dishes. Now that cocktail brings a smile just LOOKING at it!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am so in luck at the moment. Hubby JUST left with Dudette to take her to Tae Kwon Do and I have everything I need to make one, and only one, of these Citrus Blushes. I can make it right now before they get home and they'll never know. Woo hoo. I'm catching up on your posts. Bummer you had to pull for the wrong team and get boycotted.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is truly great post and perfect pics, thanks for your share recipe.

    farida
    http://kitchensuperfood.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Congrats on having your Citrus Blush featured on FB today! Beautiful spread, esp. the Spring Rolls - no wonder they were the first to go. I make all martinis with fresh fruit juice du jour, for added nutrients :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I am so making this. Have all the ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  33. OMGoodness...had to come and pin it as soon as I saw it on Facebook! LOVE! ...and want right now!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make our hearts sing!