Friday, February 18, 2011

Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats with Trader Joe's Mini Peanut Butter Cups


I need to post a retraction.  In my last post, the Valentine's Day Double Chocolate Pudding, I misspoke when I commented, "Mr. and Mrs. Romance we are not."  That was only half true.  While I did lovingly make the Double Chocolate Pudding complete with chocolate truffle heart on top, that was about the extent of my romance.  Not bad, or so I thought....

You'll remember that my Valentine was some 2500 miles away on the shores of Waikiki on the 14th.  He lovingly sent text photo after text photo of swaying palms, sunlit beaches, his beer at lunch, as well as a few surfers catching the waves with Diamond Head as a magnificent backddrop.  Little did I know, he had also done a bit of shopping.

The following afternoon after watching him gracefully land his enormous 767 at Lindbergh Field (San Diego) he popped into the car and we raced up the highway to hopefully make our 6PM date with my Dad for our monthly Wine Club pickup.  As the traffic slowed somewhere near Sea World, he glanced my direction and said, "Grab my backpack".  Well, it was all the way in the back and I looked at him and thought, "Really?  You want me to climb all the way into the back for your backpack?"  But I dutifully crawled over the seats and brought the pack up front.

Thinking he was rummaging through the pack for some work related item, I was surprised when produced a small, colorful bag with a little gold box inside.  He smiled and said, "I picked this up for you!" and slid it my direction.  A little giddy, I opened the box to find a lovely, gold rendition of my favorite tropical flower, the Plumeria, hanging from a delicate gold chain.  Knowing my love for the tropics he couldn't have chosen anything better!  With my heart melting, I quickly removed the pendant and necklace from the box and had it around my neck in seconds.  He smiled and said, "I knew it would look perfect!"  

I hereby retract my comment above and proclaim:  
Mr. Romance he IS!


Making our date with Dad, we enjoyed our special monthly evening chatting while tasting our wine selections, then selected our favorites.  Arriving home I had a surprise for the third special man in my life, my 14 year old son.  He has been begging for Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats for weeks, but alas, the last time we went to make them the peanut butter was gone.  Hence, we created the Nutella Rice Krispie Treats, which he truly enjoyed, but his heart was set on Peanut Butter.

Perfect for baking, if you can stop yourself from eating them out of hand!
With the ingredients finally in the pantry, a box of Trader Joe's Mini Milk Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups considerably boosted the peanut "butteriness" of these sumptuous treats.  Topped with a chocolate/peanut butter ganache-like frosting these krispies are anything but ordinary.  Enticing peanut butter aromas from the melty cups and the ganache permeated the kitchen requiring us to set the ganache in the freezer so we could indulge faster.  Peanut buttery, chocolaty, krispy and beyond delicious, these treats won't last long on your counter!




Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats

6 cups Rice Krispies (or 3 cups Rice Krispies and 3 cups Chocolate Puffed Rice)
1 container (12 oz) Trader Joe's Mini Peanut butter cups
1 bag (10.5-oz) miniature marshmallows
¼ cup (2 ounces) unsalted butter
1¼ cups creamy peanut butter
2 cups chocolate, chopped

Prepare a 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray.

In a large bowl mix the cereal and mini peanut butter cups, set aside. Melt the marshmallows and butter together in a medium saucepan over medium heat.  Pour the melted marshmallow mixture over the cereal mixture, quickly stirring well to evenly coat the cereal. Pour the cereal mixture into the prepared pan and evenly press into the pan.

In a small sauce pan melt the peanut butter and chocolate over low heat, stirring to combine.  Pour the melted chocolate over the cereal mixture, spreading with a rubber spatula to cover.
Allow the topping to set, then cut and serve!

Note:  We were too impatient to allow ours to set, so we placed it into the refrigerator for about 1/2 hour to speed up the process!!
Reese's and his little brother, Mini Joe
Submitting to:




39 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, love this recipe, and photos..the last one made me laugh:)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous pendant! And the treats ain't bad either, Kim! We don't have TJs in Texas, but Reese's makes mini PB cups now too. I think I need some of these...to me? PB and choc is a combo that's meant to be incorporated whenever possible!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love the pendant! Oh, and the treats! Those wouldn't survive the cutting in my house... We'd eat them straight from the pan! Great post, great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that these would not last VERY long! What a wonderful gift that "Mr.Romantic" brought you. Enjoy the long holiday weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These Rice Krispy treats are over the full moon.
    Who can resist chocolate, peanut butter and marshmallows, with the Rice Krispys. We love TJ's don't we. I've been there twice in 2 days.

    Your pendant is beautiful, Mr.Romance came through:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum, now that is my kind of a dessert. I think those peanut butter cups would really take these over the top. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog right now called "Sweets for a Saturday" and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your treats up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/02/sweets-for-saturday-5.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful necklace! I have to try this recipe-- I love anything chocolate and peanut butter. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those looks great. Hmmm peanut butter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look awesome! I'd totally rock out with my inner kid and one of these!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm in love with those Trader Joe's Mini Peanut butter cups, I can't stop eating them! I seriously need to make these bars.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I should have made this with Carla. I am still not in love with the whole idea of rice krispie treats but with some addition like these I might actually almost enjoy them :)
    Next time I'll try this version. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am addicted to the mini PB cups! Your photos are enticing too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kim - I am running out to Trader Joe's tomorrow just to get those mini peanut butter cups! How have I missed them before?? But as you warned, I probably wouldn't have enough for baking after popping most of them in my mouth. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Peanut butter is pure bliss. There is no other way to say that. Your treats look delicious and I'm so excited for your present! That is beautiful! How sweet!

    Yannick and I are sitting here admiring your photos. You are amazing. Gonna go Buzz you...

    ReplyDelete
  15. The rice krispie is a treat for senses! looks divine

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I adore these peanut cups, I missed them so much after I left US.. :) so I really love this krispie treats too :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aww! Your husband is so sweet and that necklace is gorgeous! These PB Rice Krispie Treats look awesome, as well!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love peanut butter rice kripies treats. My Mom always made them when we were kids and they are still my favorite. This takes them to a whole nother level - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I didn't know you could make peanut butter rice krispie treats any better...but you just trumped them! Fabulous!!! (And your clean slicing technique is just perfect :))

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awww I love love love this post! I am imagining a pilot's uniform and his beautiful sweetheart walking across green fields. :)

    PB in rice kripies... I've been hooked for a long time, but I've never had them with Reese's and they have never looked as perfect as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my, your husband is such a sweetie! Nice work, can he give mine a few tips? Actually, I did well this V-day, I shouldn't complain. Now pass me the plate of these awesome treats, stat!

    ReplyDelete
  22. hi Kim

    I think those rice krispie treats are a wow!!! I have to say adding in those peanut butter cups is such genius!
    I'll take two please!
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awww, so sweet! Such a good guy you go there :)

    Great looking bars, but anything with PB & chocolate is delicious in my book! Love those mini joes. I think reeses just came out with something similar, must be trying to compete!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ho...ly...cow. I am at a loss for words. Those look incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I could never make these because I think they'd never get out of the bowl into the pan - my mouth would get in the way! :) Glad you had a nice surprise from your sweetie :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm with Lauren - these would go straight from bowl to mouth. Cute story - your Valentine really is a sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I just made a peanut butter rice krispies treat too ! i guess great minds think alike eh!

    ReplyDelete
  28. How sweet and what a lovely gift! We used to make rice crispy treats all the time with the kids. Brings back wonderful memories!

    Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a great surprise gift. :) And I'm sure your son enjoyed the treats you made him too. They look heavenly1

    ReplyDelete
  30. Peanut butter rice krispies treats sound wonderful. So delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  31. These just might be the most perfect combination I've ever seen! I'd love for you to submit this to the M&T Spotlight: http://www.makeandtakes.com/spotlight

    ReplyDelete
  32. okay, i did not know trader joes even MADE those! awesome awesome awesome!
    glad to have found your blog!
    -meg
    @ http://www.clutzycooking.blogspot.com
    @ http://www.myscribblednotebook.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love, love LOVE everything about this post! How sweet of your husband. SO lovely when they have sweet tricks up their sleeves :)

    I LOVE those treats as well! Chocolate and peanut butter is my weakness! Have a lovely day! LOOOVE the photos as well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. If you don't tell my family that I saw this, I don't have to make them. They'd be begging, threatening, pleading. I know, I should be a good mom and do it anyway, but it would mean messing up perfectly good rice krispie treats with chocolate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a nice husband you have :)

    You really can't go wrong the the chocolate peanut butter combination, and I am loving the mini's! My husband loves Rice Krispie Bars so I'm going to have to give these a try1

    ReplyDelete
  36. These were sooo good! My family loved it. Was very sweet so a little went a long way. Found your recipe on Pinterest and so glad I did. It's a keeper = )

    ReplyDelete
  37. You have some great recipes on your blog!! Is there any way you can add a link to a printer friendly version of your recipe? It might be there but I didn't see it.
    Thanks,
    Big E

    ReplyDelete
  38. You make me the lament the fact we have no Trader Joe's nearby! Thankfully Reese's makes mini cups like that now, so I can still whip this up, pretty much immediately if I get my way ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make our hearts sing!