Monday, March 25, 2013

Strawberries and Cream Crepes - A Food Photography Challenge

Strawberries and Cream Crepes, chocolate and vanilla versions

Every once in a while one needs to "call in sick" just because.  Because... well, how can you enjoy a sick day if you are really sick?  And, with schedules crazy as they are, sometimes a day off is just what the doctor ordered.

Liv will be starting high school next year and we all know how the attendance record tightens up with the more intense pre-college workload.  As such, I'm savoring these last few months of middle school with my girl where taking an occasional day off hasn't been an issue in her straight A grade record.

After waking to the sun instead of the alarm, Liv and I sauntered down to the kitchen which at this later wakeup time glowed with morning sunlight.  Asking her where her breakfast desires led her she immediately exclaimed, "Crepes!"


Making a Chocolate Crepe with Strawberries and Cream
Since discovering crepes a few years ago Liv has learned to swirl crepe batter into ever so thin, perfectly cooked crepes which she occasionally whips up on her own as an after school treat.  And with this month's Inspired Plate Food Photography and Styling Challenge prompt of "Breakfast" looming on the horizon, crepes became my subject of choice.

Choosing between our old faithful vanilla crepe batter and a new Giada chocolate version became too much for our sleepy minds making the decision of both the perfect choice.  Alton Brown taught us years ago to pulse the crepe batter in a blender and then allow it to rest for about an hour for easier to handle crepes, and we've been following his advice ever since.  Tried and true, you can't go wrong with his recipe and process.

Giada's recipe didn't recommend resting the batter, but we gave it a good half hour anyway as we've been so please with Alton's advice.  Adding 1/4 cup of cocoa powder gave the crepes that extraordinary chocolate look, and these beauties cooked up just as nicely as the others.

Filling them, though, is where Liv's and my opinions differed slightly.  With strawberry season is in full swing here in San Diego, the sweet, perfectly ripe, organic berries in the fridge seemed the perfect choice, and what better than a luscious, lemon-laced creamy base for those sweet berries?  Served on either the chocolate or the vanilla crepes, the combination proved almost heavenly, and indeed, the perfect cure for our "sick" day.


Crepes with rainbow sprinkles or jimmies
While Liv enjoyed the Strawberries and Cream, she had ideas of her own, which usually tend to directly oppose mine.  Thinking the berries added just a touch of healthiness to the low in fat and protein enhanced crepes (they contain eggs) I didn't feel guilty for the breakfast splurge.  Liv, however, felt no need for health with her Powdered Sugar Sprinkle version that she lovingly created as my back was turned.  Making me proud that she thought to shoot her version with the already set up set, I returned from a quick dog walk to find a powdery plate with the remnants of rainbow sprinkles sitting in the middle of my set.

Whichever version you choose, Breakfast Crepes are sure to chase away any lingering blues.  For more incredible "Breakfast" Photography, please make your way through our Inspired Plate blog circle.  First up,  Jayme Franklin, a Bay Area Food Photographer with her beautiful breakfast photos.

Strawberries and Creme Crepes on a plate, chocolate and vanilla crepes


Strawberries and Cream Crepes
Sweet, ripe strawberries combined with luscious lemon infused cream prove to be the perfect foil to the over-worked, I need a day off blues.
Printer Friendly

Sweet Vanilla Crepe recipe from Alton Brown

Chocolate Crepe recipe from Giade De Laurentis

Lemon Cream
adapted from AllRecipes.com


1 cup soft low fat cream cheese
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 Tbs lemon zest
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup heavy cream, divided

Mix together the cream cheese and powdered sugar until smooth.  Add the lemon zest and vanilla extract, mixing to combine.  Gently fold in about 1/2 cup of whipping cream, more if desired.

To prepare crepes, spoon about 1/4 of a cup of the cream mixture down the center of the crepe.  Top with sliced strawberries, roll, and top with powdered sugar or an additional dollop of cream.  Serve.

Liv Live Note:  I'm not a fan of super sweet and reduced the powdered sugar in this recipe by over 1/2 of a cup after reading remarks that the cream was way too sweet.  If you prefer a sweeter version, add additional powdered sugar to suit your taste.

15 comments:

  1. Looks good. I've never had any luck with crepes, but I may have to try again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh Kim, that whipped cream at the end looks so delicious :D Never knew that crepe mix should be rested before making, I definitely want to give this a go!! Lovely, fresh vibrant photos, as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic job, these look amazing! Can't wait to try :)

    Happy Blogging!
    Happy Valley Chow

    ReplyDelete
  4. I havent yet attempted making crepes, but I love eating them :-) Love the pics and anything with strawberries just brings out the life in ur dish...love them!

    Luv,
    Manju
    http://manjuseatingdelights.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chocolate crepes sound delish! Thanks for the great tips. Your simple white on white background really allowed the strawberries and crepes to be the star (or sprinkles in Liv's case). Beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Kim! I don't think I've ever made crepes?? Love Alton's advice. Beautiful images as always and I fully empathize with you about our kids starting high school in the fall!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love crepes, but haven't made them in years. Your photos and recipe have inspired me to make them again. Lovely, Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great mother/daughter "sick" day project. Those strawberries just gave me the most intense craving!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kim,
    I just made a version of your chicken, spinach, mushroom crepes for my bunco group, nad they turned out so well. Now, I'll be making these chocolate strawberry crepes which look amazing. I love strawberries in anything. Live is so cute and a a budding foodie, taking after her accomplished Mom:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my lordy! This looks so good, what a fabulous breakfast...YUMMMMMYYY! I am with Liv too, the more sprinkles the better haha

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's so cute that Liv took pictures of her creation. I bet she could teach me a thing or two about making really thin crepes--I don't have that much experience.

    What a nice breakfast for a mommy-daughter day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG! What are you doing to us?! I really don't know why I am looking at your blog while waiting for my lunch to come around! lol And all I got in the fridge is a crappy little salad with a left over Easter egg. Haha! I want the strawberry crepe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely crepes! Regarding the heavy cream, do you whip it all before you add it to the cream cheese mixture? or just pour the heavy cream in the mixture? and than whip what is left? Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The above given recipe is really very nice. It is easy and tastes good. Thanks for such a great recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make our hearts sing!